Friday, October 26, 2007
In lieu of...
My own posts, check out the Houston Chronicle's growing gardening community:
- The Lazy Gardener--Brenda Beust Smith's blog (http://blogs.chron.com/lazygardener/)
- Garden Scheduler--BBBS's other blog (http://blogs.chron.com/gardenscheduler/)
- Gardening tips--Readers' blog (http://www.chron.com/commons/readerblogs/gardeningtips.html)
- Gardening forum
And more to come.
Sunday, August 27, 2006
i have little (read, no) time for gardening and blogging these days, but i did enjoy participating in Kathy Purdy's excellent (multipart!) garden blogging retrospective over at Cold Climate Gardening. she'll be publishing several more installments in the coming days--don't miss them!
Technorati tags: garden blog
Saturday, April 22, 2006
over the last few months the houston chronicle has been introducing various reader blogs. among the most recent is green space--a reader blog about gardening. so, given the sporadic posting here, i suggest checking them out!
now, if only the chronicle's garden editor, kathy huber, had a blog...
Sunday, June 20, 2004
More Garden Blogs.
Sunday, May 02, 2004
even though i've been busy in the yard / garden lately, i've been bored with the blog. thus, the lack of posts.
a rundown of what's been happening:
- i built a brick worm bin and "stocked" it with two pounds of worms
- darin moved the three crepe myrtles from the side fence to the back fence; one may not have survived the move
- the redbud was dead so we took it out.
- replaced the late redbud with texas lantana (from peter's smithville property) and two mexican bush sage
- bought an oakleaf hydrangea and planted it between the two surviving transplanted crepe myrtles
- with the exception of the ipheion uniflorum the spring bulbs were very disappointing
- planted the meyer lemon in the center of the island bed
- the coral honeysuckle is blooming beautifully
- the star jasmine is blooming heavily but the scent / smell has become overwhelming
- the gardenias are also blooming heavily, but they smell better
- the coreopsis grandiflora is blooming heavily; bought a second one and planted it nearby
- the pineapple sage is threatening to overrun the island bed
- the two serranos i kept from last year are covered in peppers ready for harvest
- darin rented a lawn aerator and aerated front and back yards before saturday's downpour
- three inches of rain saturday
- the rescued-from-near-death ballerina rose is thriving on the trellis behind the garage and about to bloom
- the fern-leaf lavender is blooming and growing like mad, threatening to crowd out the goodwin creek lavender which, apart from the crowding, is doing well
Wednesday, February 25, 2004
my sidebar has been slowly growing longer and today i finally did something about it. i didn't cut any links out, but i did convert the unwieldly archive links and typelists to drop down menus. i found the necessary tweaks on the blog of une very stylish fille.
one of these days i'm going to do a major overhaul of the decor, but i'm having trouble settling on colors.
update: egad, the "little things" title is more appropriate than i intended. viewing gardenspot on my other computer, a mac running netscape 7.0, the items in the drop down lists are tiny! i should probably do something about that, since mac really is my platform of choice.
Saturday, December 20, 2003
Orchids and Worms.
Friday, December 19, 2003
blogging has been light -- okay, nonexistent -- lately due to pre-holiday panic and will probably continue to be light / nonexistent until the new year. of course, i might squeeze in some posts as i take breaks from the holiday activities, but don't count on it.
Thursday, November 27, 2003
Brilliant Post, Forgotten.
i hate it when i compose a brilliant post in my head while away from the computer and then forget absolutely everything when i'm ready to type. including the subject of said brilliant post.
Saturday, August 16, 2003
i've decided to make typepad the permanent (at least for the foreseeable future) home for garden spot. eventually i'll get all the old blogspot posts cleaned up. but first i'll muck with the template some more.